Friday, February 27, 2015

Pro/Con Article

The article I found was an article giving multiple reasons how technology in the classrooms is affecting children, especially younger children. They authors state how children already have their heads in video games way too much. They also mention how digital technology reduces attention span and makes it harder for children to complete difficult tasks. A couple of the cons that they list are; handheld devices are associate with several health problems, people who read print text comprehend and remember more, and print textbooks cannot crash, freeze or get hacked into. I liked the article because it also mentioned the pros to adding technology in classrooms. I can understand both sides of the argument.

Technology Cons link

2 comments:

  1. The article definitely made some valid points. However, I don't think the stats having to do with excessive screen time fit into their argument. Assuming by "excessive screen time" they are referring to kids doing to much of web surfing, video gaming, and cell phone/tablet stuff at home, which is on the parents to regulate and doesn't have anything to do with technology use in classrooms.

    That's interesting that students who read physical print texts comprehend more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There will always be good and bad a bout everything. Part of the reason reading from an electronic, vs. paper, effects your memory differently is because of our brain hemispheres. The average person I left hemisphere based. Well, technology registers in your right hemisphere. This means unless you are a much younger generation that has grown up with computers and tablets, you have to train your brain to work with technology.

    ReplyDelete